Monday, July 18, 2005

Flannel Star


flannel star
Originally uploaded by Flyingsquid.

I told you I'm obsessed with these. This one is made of flannel, mostly old shirts, one bathrobe, and a few nightgowns. I asked my parents for all of their worn-out flannel shirts and got this amazingly colour-coordinated lot. The bit in the centre is from my favourite shirt from when I was ten, which I never would let my mother throw out. See? It came in handy.

I pieced this over thin fabric, instead of paper, which will stay as a permanent part of the quilt. It worked pretty well. Flannel is a lot more slippery and difficult to work with than I would have guessed, and I think pulling off papers would have caused too much unravelling of the seam allowances.

The star measures a metre or so across, and will form the centre of a larger quilt. I'll put a border of the red flannel around it, and then more strip-pieced strips, like the ones used for the corners.

It's already unbelievably soft and cuddly, without even being quilted yet.

1 comment:

Cymru88 said...

I like the quilt... cool. I used to pack rat as well, still do, but have not done anything half as creative as that with my schtuff.