Monday, October 24, 2005

Worship the Knitting


they're awed
Originally uploaded by Flyingsquid.

See how the little fluffy creatures worship their idol. If they are good, one day they too will get to be knitting...

This week, I have been learning to knit on double-pointed needles. I'd never tried it before, but in the bundle of knitting needles passed on from my grandmother to my mother to me there are several sizes of double-point sets. And I'm still feeling bitten by the knitting bug. So I searched around on-line until I found some advice on knitty.com and socknitters.com and found a pattern for fingerless gloves, which the onset of fall weather has reminded me that I need, and set to.

I believe the interesting spiral-effect in the towering idol is due to my having got the stitches twisted when arranging them after casting on. It's pretty cool how the knitting stands up all on its own.

5 comments:

K said...

That photo gave me a big smile.

I cannot find any decent fingerless gloves either at the moment, and was seriously considering learning to knit so I can make myself some (though I may start with something easier).

Is it easy to get started? My own granny tried to teach me when I was eight, but I didn't get the hang of it then, and she's no longer around to help me out...

Alys Sterling said...

I wouldn't really recommend double-points for learning on. There are patterns for knitting mitts flat, if you don't mind having to sew up the sides - in fact, you could probably just knit a couple of rectangles and sew them up, leaving an opening partway down one of the sides for your thumb.

My mother tried to teach me to knit when I was little, but I wasn't very good at it - always pulled the stitches too tight. I learned to knit properly from a friend at University, who had learned while on an exchange year in Shetland, where, apparently, everyone knits.

I'd get someone to show you again, if you can - it's pretty hard to make out what's going on in most illustrations of it, but easy when you can watch someone else.

K said...

Thanks for your advice! Yeah, that was what I meant by "start with something easier" - I like a challenge, but double-points might be best left till later. I don't mind hand-sewing at all (thanks to the same granny).

My mother knitted a jumper for my dad when they were courting, and as far as I know has not picked up a needle since (nothing left to prove, maybe?) But perhaps she'd remember the basic technique if I ask her. I don't know anyone in real life who currently knits...

K said...

Happy Hallowe'en!

In honour of the day, I came across this, and thought you might appreciate it...

http://www.quiltart.com/challenges/dod/

Alys Sterling said...

Thank you! And, hm, now I know what I should post up tomorrow...